Sunday, November 22, 2020

Three bridges, no river!

3 bridges, no river, just roads

It's true to say that when my humans take me out in my campervan, we're  likely to go somewhere that's interesting. 

 

Very often it's more interesting for them, but sometimes it's just as interesting for me too, especially when there are beaches, good places to sniff and good walks involved, preferrably with a few other dogs to meet along the way to say hello to.

We went away to Norfolk last month in my campervan (more on that to come when I get my paws on the keyboard again) but on the way we stopped at a place called Crowland (and sometimes called Croyland - don't ask me why!) in Lincolnshire.

Well, there was a rather nice ruined Abbey there which they wanted to see (not too boring because there were trees and it was sniffy). Then we went into the town and found something really strange - three bridges all joined together but no river nearby. So all we could do was walk up the steps to where the bridges joined together, and then back down again. Weird. 

 


There had a been a river there or something, but it got moved. Even weirder! Anyway, the bits around the Abbey were better as there were trees, grass to walk on and it was a whole lot less peculiar than the bridges (although one of humans really liked those bridges).

The Abbey was more my kind of place!




 * The River Welland and one of its tributaries used to flow beneath what is known as Trinity Bridge. The river was moved and re-routed in the 17th century and the bridges were left in place. More info here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment