Thursday, February 29, 2024

York, a pub lunch, and cats!

 

The humans and I went away in my campervan last week, even though it was a bit cold and sometimes very wet. But we were fed up with the wet and all that rain we keep getting, so we stayed at a campsite in York on what they call a hard standing (I think it means the van is not on grass which would be blooming wet and muddy and we could get stuck).

The York campsite is a great place for walks along by the river (think it's called the OOooze) but the humans learned that the campsite, just across the road from the river, had been closed 4 times this year because of flooding, so everywhere we walked (on paths whenever we could) was wet and sloshy. I was allowed to go on some of the grass, but only for a quick sniff and pee, as it was so muddy I might have sunk into it. With short legs that could be a problem. 

The park next door to the campsite, where I've been taken before, was closed and the tennis courts were under water. I made the best of it and liked my walk by the river on the puddly paths, but the best day was when there was no rain and some friends of the humans came to visit.

We walked into York and we had a map of the Cat Trail all ready to follow once we'd been for lunch in a pub. Now, sitting under the table in eating places is really quite good as I know when to behave myself, and this often means I get an odd titbit from someone's plate. A very large bowl of water was brought for me too.

What I was interested in was this Cat Trail thing the humans kept talking about. After lunch and lots of chatting (boring...) we set off with the map to find these cats. Would you believe - there's even a cat shop!! in York but it doesn't have real cats in it, just models and pretend cats. Boring.

We followed the trail for a while, but it looked like it was going to rain (again) so everyone decided to cut the walk short and get back to my campervan before we all got wet. The humans only found 4 cats on the way back, using the map. And I didn't get to see any of them at all because they were climbing up the sides of buildings and sitting on windowsills.

And in any case, they weren't real. Otherwise my behaviour might have been a bit different!

No comments:

Post a Comment