Friday, April 1, 2022

A long lead and a shaggy dog story

I've been away on holiday, staying with my humans' daughter - you know, the one who has that CAT which I can never (well, hardly ever) find.

I've had a great time with plenty of walks in new places. I walked to the top of a windy hill and sat on a bench. And I walked in the park and posed in front of a posh house.

I had lots of runs - on my long lead - in all the places she took me. Sometimes they were muddy walks, but always fun.

She always keeps me on my long lead, and I gather there are reasons for this. 

She splained to me that a long time ago, that when she was 12, she had a dog called Weggy and he was a Westie (those white things with longer legs who are also terriers).

She'd asked and begged for a dog for her 12th birthday for a whole year and my humans allowed her to have one and took her pick it up for her birthday. The humans and her brother all knew she was getting a dog, but it was a surprise for her and she thought she was going to have her ears pierced for her birthday present (that was next on her list after a dog). Why do you have your ears pierced?

So when they drove up to a house and the owner asked them to come in, through the garage, she thought it was a bit strange. Then she heard some barking and out on the patio there was a pen with a mother Westie and puppies. One of them was Weggy, who came to live at the house where I live now with my humans.

When Weggy was quite young, they all went on holiday to Devon (I've been there!) and had a walk with some friends on a place called Dartmoor. They let Weggy off his lead as it was a big empty place and he got very exckited and ran off into the distance. Everyone called and called and chased after him and he did stop and come back but their daughter (who was still only 12) was very upset because she thought he wouldn't come back.

So even though she's now lots older than 12, she's always a bit scared I might run away if I'm let off the lead so it's the long lead for me when I stay with her. As if I'd really run away - she makes too much of a fuss of me. And of course, there's always that CAT to keep me interested....

[Ed. Bosworth has no road sense and only goes off lead in safe open spaces away from roads. Beaches are the most favoured]

No comments:

Post a Comment