Thursday, December 10, 2020

It's beginning to look a bit like that time of year again....



 

Things are happening here - quite interesting things.

The human who feeds me has put up what she calls "our very ancient vintage Christmas tree". It’s a big green thing - well it's bigger then me - and it's made of plastic (shock horror – but it’s not as bad as it sounds). Apparently they bought it long long ago, long before I came to live with them and from what I can gather, it was probably sometime in the late 1970s or early 80s. (when was THAT?!) I've heard it cost £17, which was quite expensive at that time. No idea what £ is.

Apparently they did have a real tree for several years before they went plastic with this one. They said that at the time it seemed more sustainable to have an artificial, reusable tree than to “kill off” a real one every year. Turns out this was true. Anyway, mutterings have been made about a thing called "carbon footprint" (pawprint?) having been paid off over the years, but really these just go over my head. To be honest this old  tree looks surprisingly good and passably realistic (if you ignore the brown plastic trunk and branches), especially when the lights and baubles are in place hiding the more naff details. It has its own peculiar cachet. 
 
There are some big spiky things called pine cones underneath. I've had a go at biting and nibbling them but they didn't taste of anything nice, so forget them.

And the tree doesn't smell interesting either, so I know it's not a pee post.

IMG_0507

 

No comments:

Post a Comment