Friday, June 23, 2023

A Dog's Eyeview of Vanlife - Part 3



 
When we’re on our travels and away from home for a while, more packing goes on before we leave, although I have noticed they keep some of my things in my van all the time. When we do what they call a “trip”, we sometimes go to what the humans call “a-broad”, or “you-rup”. My van goes on a train or a boat, but as long as I can snuggle down comfortably while we travel, I’m OK.

Wherever we end up, the most exciting bit of all is when we arrive and I can smell and see where we are when the door opens. If it’s somewhere I’ve been to before I always remember it. I insist on leading the way for the first walk I get soon after arrival, so I can check out the lie of the land. If I know where we are, I set off an a familiar route. 

The humans were surprised I could do this when we arrived at a campsite in that “a-broad” place we’d not visited since I was a puppy, but I definitely knew my way about.

Campsite dog walks – the bits fenced off specially for dogs – I rate as anything between zero (tiny, tidy, short and narrow boring path) to ten (large field with oodles of space to run, play and make friends with other dogs).

 

After my first walk, wherever we are, I’m happy to settle down outside my van on my long lead, keeping watch on any comings and goings while I take the air. This is even better when it’s warm enough to leave the sliding door open as I can sit in the doorway and watch the world go by. 

 

And when the humans set up their table and chairs outside, and carry out my food and water bowls, we can all eat together. I like this a lot.

 

My rating for vanlife? Ten. It’s perfect!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment