Tuesday, June 6, 2023

A Dog's Eyeview of Vanlife - Part 1

As I've written about my travels in my campervan (well, the human who feeds me
does the writing and I do the thinking and dictating), I thought I’d share a few thoughts on what this vanlife thing they talk about is like if you’re a dog.

For a start, let’s get this straight. It’s my van. The humans might like to call it “their” van but in reality it has to be mine because there are a lot of my things in it, and I’m the one who sits patiently in the open sliding doorway checking that everything that’s needed for me is on board and packed before we set off.

Food and treats, for a start.

I’ve been travelling in my van with my humans since I was a puppy, so I have a few snippets of canine know-how about vanlife under my belt. Sometimes I’m able to pick up hints of what’s about to happen van-wise from what the humans are saying. 

“Shall we see what the weather’s like tomorrow and go out for a day in the van?” is often mentioned before we take off for a day out. 

This means a minimal amount of packing – just essentials of food for their lunch and some treats for me, plus my evening meal in case we stay out later to watch a sunset (the humans like doing this when we go to the coast for the day). They transfer my bed, cushion and blanket to the van, slip my harness over my head, hook me up to the anchored lead and off we go.

Of course, when this happens I have no idea where we’re going. It might be to the coast, and that’s excellent, as there are beaches. 

Or it could be to the local nature park and that’s good too, as there are woods and paths and long walks.

If we go to the big National Trust park not too far from home that’s really good as there’s loads of space for me to run in, plus deer and sheep to watch, although I have to go back on my lead if they’re around.

Sometimes we go for a day out in North Wales, with more beaches, and walks on a thing called a pier, finished off with takeaway fish and chips in my van at the end of the day before we head back. This is especially good as I’ve now perfected scrounging chips, even if I’ve already been fed. 

[Ed. not good for his weight; only a couple of tastes then we ignore the beseeching eyes]

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment