Tuesday, July 26, 2022

The Pet Passport that is no more

Me having my rabies booster

I've been to the vet. Not exacty my favourite place but it always smells interesting there and I do have a big fuss made of me.

It was something to do with my pet passport, which my humans have used (on my behalf) when we've taken off in my van and gone to mainland Europe. I've been to France and Germany (just saying, cos I'm just a bit proud of having been to what the humans call A Broad).

But since there was this weird Brexit (breakfast?) thing, I can't use my pet passport anymore. I have to have an Animal Health Certificate instead, which my humans are quite narked about. 

I'm a bit miffed too because that passport photo of me is just great. 

But that's no longer needed and it's all about paperwork and forms and doing things the way the government says we have to because of this breakfast thing, and not being able to take very much dog food, and nothing meaty either, and only being able to leave the country in a 10 day period once we have the certificate. 

And blimey! We have to do this every single time we want to go, and we have to PAY every single time too, which we didn't have to with the Pet Passport. Unfriendly growls all round from me and I've heard several suspect naughty words spoken about it by the humans too.

So a few days ago we went to the vet to update my rabies jab, which was about to expire, and although I got a needle in my scruff, it was on the whole an OK visit because my vet made such a fuss of me and she's very kind. Although I don't look too happy in that pic of me having the shot!

When the humans have decided when we'll go to the A Broad place, they'll take me back to the vet so she can do the paperwork. She says it takes her an hour to do and isn't very happy about the paperwork involved. 

She would far rather have the pet passport too, like me and my humans.

 

Ed: For more info on the required Animal Health Certificate see 

https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/getting-an-animal-health-certificate

and good luck making sense of it all!


No comments:

Post a Comment