Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Licky licky

 

I love a good lick!

My humans have the most exquisite smells on their hands sometimes and it's then that I find my tongue straying to savour their hands, wrists and any other bit of exposed flesh that my nostrils lead me to.

I sometimes have a good lick around their bare ankles in the morning, when they come downstairs in dressing gowns and slippers.

They get a bit touchy when I really go for it on their hands and wrists and gently fang them with my gnashers. Sometimes I forget my fangs can hurt them, but really I'm only putting a bit of welly into it as I love them so much. And they're pretty tasty too.

Best of all, as you'll see from this picture of my tongue at work round my male human's neck, are ears. Aaaahh - ears - they are so interesting, with nooks and crannies and tasty flavours.

The humans who feeds me (and cuddles me too) sometimes tells people about how I licked the ears of someone called Iolo Williams when I was a puppy. Now, I don't remember this as I was quite young, but I gather we went to an outdoor event (Ed.Hen Harrier Day) where he was a speaker or something. 

No idea what he was talking about, but he came and made a fuss of me so I licked his ears. No idea who he is either, but he sometimes comes on our TV screen with animals and birds and things, which are interesting to watch.

(Ed. The Kennel Club recently sent an informative email about several things, one of them being licking. Here's an extract:

Licking is a useful behaviour for your dog. It enhances their sense of smell and helps them explore new tastes. Dogs don’t have as many taste buds as we do. But, they can still tell if a flavour is salty, sweet, bitter, or sour. When deciding whether to lick an item (or human), dogs rely on their sense of smell. They will choose to lick the areas of human bodies that have the most inviting aroma — hands, feet, ears, and face. Human skin can smell very appealing with a delicious, salty flavour!

 and here's a link to the full article)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment